From the archives: a more recent memory….

Demolished during the 1990s on the demise of the railway line and the diversion of the river, this bridge over the railway and the Garw river was opened on the 7th of June in 1901 and became a prominent feature in the Garw Valley.

The ironwork for the bridge was made at Swindon and transported to Pontycymer for installation, but the stone for the abutment walls and the capstones was quarried locally, and Mr Joseph Isaacs of Bryn Hyfryd in Pontycymer was the stone mason employed.

by David J Dimmick.

One comment Add yours
  1. Pontycymer (the bridge at the confluence or the bridge where two rivers meet) was named around 1876, about 25 years before this bridge. Does anyone know anything about or have photos of the previous bridge that gave the village its name?

Leave a Reply